Flame of world peace brought from Jerusalem to Pitcairn
ANGWIN (Napa County) Calif., August 5, 1999A flame of world peace
and goodwill, from a flame in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in
Jerusalem, now burns in the Seventh-day Adventist church on tiny
Pitcairn Island, located in the far, uninhabited reaches of the South
Pacific Ocean, according to a report reaching the Pitcairn Islands Study
Center on the campus of Pacific Union College here (Aug. 5, 1999).
The flame was brought to Pitcairn recently by nine visiting
yachts of a 50-yacht "Millennium Odyssey" flotilla, which is carrying
specially designed lamps containing the flame to 40 countries around the
At Pitcairn, the "Millennium Flame" was passed to Neville Tosen,
pastor of the Adventist church, the only house of worship on Pitcairn,
and to Jay Warren, Pitcairn's magis- trate, by Jimmy Cornell, publisher
of World Cruising magazine, initiator of the millennium event.
Cornell explained that the passing of the flame is a "wish to
celebrate the coming of the new millennium in a profound and significant
way." The last of the lamps will be pre- sented in Rome, Italy, on
Easter Sunday, 2000.
In 1789, nine sailors who had mutinied against their captain,
William Bligh, on board H.M.S. Bounty sailed to uninhabited Pitcairn to
escape detection. It was nearly two de- cades before the outside world
discovered their presence on the one-mile-long by two-miles-wide island.
Pitcairn is located about midway between Panama and New Zealand.
Pitcairn Islands Study Center, 1 Angwin
Ave., Angwin, CA, USA. Herbert Ford, 707-965-6625, 707-965-2047, Fax: 707-965-6504,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://library.puc.edu/pitcairn